Karl Pister is the founder and president of The Coaching Group, Inc. Karl has extensive coaching, counseling, and training background, having worked in the field of executive coaching, training, and individual and marital counseling for over 28 years. His background in conflict management, negotiation, executive development, employee relations, and leadership allow the coaching and training to have a current and timely application to the business world.
In addition to thousands of hours of executive coaching experience, his hands on business career of account management, national network development, and managed mental health care program implementation provides a background of actual business world experience and expertise that many coaching situations lack. This combination of real life experience allows coaching clients to mix the day to day reality of business needs with the skills needed to rise to the top of their professions.
Throughout his corporate career, Karl has maintained a thriving practice of marital and individual counseling which has allowed him to see growth and progress of many persons in arenas outside of the business world.
Over 28 years of experience in:
- Executive coaching
- Corporate counseling
- Corporate training
- Conflict management
- Executive development
- Employee relations
- Marital counseling
- Individual counseling
Business career in:
- Account management
- National network development
- Managed mental health care
Karl’s educational and certification background:
- BA Spanish – Brigham Young University
- MSW Social Work – Brigham Young University
- MS Marriage and Family Therapy – Brigham Young University
- Licensed clinical social worker in the state of Oregon
- Certified at the basic and advanced level of Critical Incidence Stress Debriefing by the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation (ICISF)
- Certified Executive coach – Center for Executive Coaching
- Accredited by the International Coach Federation as a Professional Certified Coach
- Designated by the Association for Coaching Excellence as a Platinum Level coach – based on direct client feedback on the value added by the coaching experience
The source of experience:
- President and Founder of The Coaching Group, Inc. – (1995-present) Providing executive coaching and organizational consulting to healthcare firms, executives, physicians, and nurses in 23 different hospital and clinic settings throughout the Pacific Northwest.
- Director of Oregon Operations, Human Affairs International, Inc. (1990-1994) – Oversaw clinical and account management functions in office generating $2.5 million in annual business and serving 12,000 employees. Trained and supervised full-time staff of seven and over 20 subcontractor counselors.
- Account Executive, Human Affairs International, Inc. (1988-1994) – Managed national EAP of Aetna Life and Casualty, Fred Meyer, and PacifiCorp with more than 25,000 enrollees, supervising two subordinates. Developed national provider networks for managed health care department: researched/selected/ credentialed providers; finalized contracts; handled strategic planning and growth mapping.
- Network Counselor Coordinator, Human Affairs International, Inc. (1986-1988) – An employee assistance/managed mental health care firm. Became Aetna employee after corporate buyout in 1988. Coordinated national network of 250 counselors.
- These positions, combined with the human and organizational behavior courses of graduate school provided the foundation for the coaching expertise. These skills have been honed over the 19 years of private practice with thousands of hours of face-time with executives and employees facing worksite challenges and difficulties.